It Erodes Your Dream.
Based on the SF novel of the same name by Yasutaka Tsutui, Paprika is a fantasy anime about the adventures of Paprika, who enters people’s dreams using a “DC mini,” a machine that enables sharing dreams, and fights with terrorists who invade them. The film is directed by award-winning director Satoshi Kon, and its music is composed by influential musician Susumu Hirasawa, who debuted as a member of P-MODEL and has been aggressively active with his unique approach.
- A Screening with an Audio System used in Live Concerts
- Bakuon (explosive sound) Screening is an experimental way of screening films. It doesn’t use the speakers installed in a movie theater; instead, it uses an audio system usually found in live concerts, which is set up especially for the screening.
- Powerful and Delicate Sound
- With dynamics that cannot be achieved in normal audio settings, Bakuon Screening offers the audience a thrilling experience; after all, a change in sound can even change the way we watch films. During Bakuon Screening, one will be able to listen to the subtlest sounds that you would otherwise miss. It’s a perfect combination of powerfulness and delicateness.
- Bakuon Means the Best Sound
- Bakuon doesn’t mean just a loud sound. It is also a way to search for the best sound a film can have, as it attempts to find out where the core of the sound exists, so that the essence of the film can be revealed.
Invented by a mental health research center, the “DC mini” is an innovative technology with which you can share other people’s dreams. After someone steals the machine, researchers start having nightmares and their minds are eroded. To solve the mystery, a therapist, Atsuko Chiba, transforms herself into a dream detective, “Paprika,” and has a completely different personality and features. A nasty trap awaits Paprika when she enters her client’s dream, which is contaminated by crazy images.
Direction: Satoshi Kon
2006/Japan/90min/Japanese dialogue, English subtitles
Paplika/Atsuko Chiba : Megumi Hayashibara
Seijiro Inui: Toru Emori
Torataro Shima: Katsunosuke Hori
Kosaku Tokita: Toru Furuya
Director: Satoshi Kon
Original Story: Yasutaka Tsutsui
Screenplay: Seishi Minakami/Satoshi Kon
Production company: Madhouse
Character Design and Animation Director: Masashi Ando
Color Designer: Satoshi Hashimoto
Art Director: Nobutaka Ike
Cinematographer: Michiya Katou
Editing: Takeshi Seyama
Sound Director: Masafumi Mima
Co-Producer: Satoki Toyota
Producer: Jungo Maruta/ Masao Takiyama
© 2006 MADHOUSE / SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT (JAPAN) INC.